A Week with the Experts: Recapping COLLABORATE 13 – IOUG Forum
The top names and faces in the Oracle community converged in Denver last week for the annual Oracle users conference COLLABORATE 13 - IOUG Forum. This once a year opportunity to connect with the members of not one, but three Oracle users groups (IOUG, OAUG and Quest) was a smashing success, with over 5,000 attendees, 1,000 presentations and a full week of great events and networking opportunities. For 20 years, IOUG has been delivering an unique event with leading edge content for Oracle technology users, and COLLABORATE 13 was a high watermark - a fantastic way to bring its engaged, expert user community together for the third decade of its existence.
"Why is COLLABORATE 13 valuable? Because in 5 minutes at the IOUG party last night, I got an OEM12c question answered that was nowhere to be found on Google." (via Twitter)
Where else can you get direct, easy answers to the challenges you face in your job on a daily basis?
COLLABORATE 13 featured:
- Panels, Tips and Tricks and Q&A Sessions with top Oracle experts
- Case studies and success stories straight from the people who lived through them
- Access to IOUG Board and User Group Members
- Special Interest Group sessions and gatherings around Cloud, Big Data, BI/DW, WebCenter and more
Many sessions (notably the Oracle Enterprise Manager SIG meeting) featured numerous live tweets and online participation, as a way of gathering feedback and drawing in the wider community. A summary of the most recent conversation on Twitter can be found here.
"Excited to continue the dialogue with Oracle, advantage of being part of the user group!"(via Twitter)
Oracle Corporation has a great presence at COLLABORATE events, from the top executives to front-line product managers:
- Mark Hurd spoke about efforts to further engage with user communities, which he noted as a critical partnership for Oracle
- Sean D. Tucker inspired attendees with his tales of aviation and overcoming challenges
- Oracle-led roadmaps and sessions focused on 12c and more
- Oracle product managers and other employees answering questions in sessions and during the Exhibitor Showcase
Hurd's presentation, which was moderated by Ray Wang of Constellation Research, featured questions submitted from the audience. Hurd fielded numerous interesting questions, and reinforced Oracle's devotion to working more closely with the Oracle user groups in the coming months.
"My week of abject jealousy is over as COLLABORATE comes to a close. Thank you to all the Oracle heads who live tweeted the
event. So Awesome." (via Twitter)
Tons of unique opportunities to connect with both Oracle solutions providers and users in person and online:
- IOUG's 20th Anniversary Welcome Reception (IOUG 20th Anniversary Video) - thanks to Cisco and NetApp, IOUG's 20th Anniversary Sponsors!
- The Exhibitor Showcase
- Happy hours and the Urban Revival party
- Incredibly active Twitter conversation - over 6,000 tweets on the conference hashtag
- Engaging conversations between Attendees after sessions and in the hallways
Other Twitter highlights:
Over 20 years, @seandtucker has flown in front of 120 million people. The secret to his success? "Risk management." #C13DEN
Walking through an interesting sleuthing exercise with ASH w/ @timothyjgorman. Super-cool. #C13DEN #c13tch
Just too many people to thank for their time and knowledge, awesome event @IOUG #C13DEN , see you at #C14LV
#Storify Story with tweets from @IOUG Oracle Enterprise Manager SIG "Bird of a Feather" meeting http://sfy.co/eGyj #em12c #c13den
Hurd: Oracle user groups, "We want your input. We want your support." #C13DEN
Hurd: Exec leadership needs to drive IT strategy to properly align with business process. #C13DEN
"Thank you Denver and IOUG for a wonderful COLLABORATE 13 - the best COLLAB ever."(via Twitter)
While this year's COLLABORATE can not be duplicated (unless you have access to a time machine), plans for COLLABORATE 14 in Las Vegas are already underway.
Save the date for COLLABORATE 14:
April 7 - 11, 2014
Sands Expo and Convention Center
The Venetian Resort-Hotel-Casino
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
More on COLLABORATE 13
COLLABORATE 13 News & Daily Updates
View 'Fun Stuff from COLLABORATE 13' Conference Photos on Facebook
View 'Keynotes and More' Conference Photos on Facebook
View 'Only at COLLABORATE 13: Sessions, the IOUG Community and More" Conference Photos on Facebook
Follow the conversation on the
COLLABORATE 13 Twitter Feeds